Rug's Board Game Reviews!

Forum for general chit-chat and discussion.
Rug

Re: Rug's Board Game Reviews!

Post by Rug »

Absolutely! I was pretty much better than most people I played because I played it more but I would still lose a third of the time. It seems like a hard game to master. You can get all kind of travel versions too and can play it in like...20 mins so it is a great one to get out.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

I love Designer: One of two dudes in the 1700's

I always like your reviews even though I don't play games much
happywondering

Post by happywondering »

Downside: only 3 colours 9in this entire game, black, green and white. Upside: it looks funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Rug

Post by Rug »

Well, there is some debate over who it actually was that created the game. Two men claim to have and call each other fraudulent. Lewis Waterman or John W. Mollett. I have to fix the year though. Pretty sure it is late 1800's ha ha ha
Rug

Post by Rug »

Game: Above & Below
Designer: Ryan Laukat
Price: £35
Publisher: Red Raven Games

First thoughts:

The first thing that grabbed me about this game is that Ryan Laukat's games are vibrant and endearing. It is rare for a designer to also be the artist and even rarer for that to work. Laukat seems to have this figured out as I have played a few of his games and they all work really well.

Secondly, there is a unique feature in this game and if you were ever a fan of the "choose your own adventure" books then you are in for a treat! I will explain better below.

Gameplay:

Players will be aiming for a mixture of village building and adventuring.

You start out by picking one of each type of starting villagers from a starting pool. Set up looks something like this:

This is a two-player game set up so the 6 villager tokens left over are the ones we didn't pick. They go back in the box. Below is an example of your village or player-board at the start of the game.

After deciding the first player you get busy sending your workers out to perform tasks in order to grow your village.

After a villager has performed their action you move them to the exhausted area, marked by a moon symbol. They need to rest after all. As you can see above, the starting villagers begin the game in the ready area on the left.

Main Actions:

Train: A villager with a feather on it may train a new villager by choosing a villager on the mainboard, paying the cost underneath them and moving that villager token and the villager who trained them to their exhausted area. The first player to do this each round gets a bonus barrel of beer too!

Build: A villager with a hammer on it may take the build action, choosing a card from either of the above or below buildings to face up underneath the board OR from special/key buildings at the top of the mainboard. Paying the cost marked on the card and placing it under your village in either an above...or below space!!!

To build above, special or key cards there are no special rules. Just pay the cost and place them in your tableau.

Below cards, however, must be placed on top of a successfully explored empty cave card in your tableau.

"But how do I get an empty cave card into my tableau" I hear you ask. Oh...Oh ho ho! Here comes the best bit of the game. The selling point. My gosh...

Adventure:

THIS bad boy is the gravy, the Yorkshires and pigs in blankets all rolled into one!!!

A player takes a cave card:

Rolls a dice to determine which encounter they are about to experience and chooses any number of villagers (of any type of trainer, builder or plain old villager). The player to their left finds the number in the encounter book and reads out that encounter then reads out the players' choices, omitting anything not in bold.

In order to complete the encounter, the player must select one of the options i.e. Convince the man to tell you about the city OR Explore the city yourself. Once they have decided it is time to see if your adventurers can do it.

For each villager you send ^ above we sent 3 you roll the dice and earn the displayed amount of lanterns. For example, Mr. Toad here gets 3 lanterns if the player rolls 5+

So, for example, you have an explore 8 then you need 8 lanterns to gain the rewards. If your rolls go poorly you can exert any number of your adventurers to score a bonus lantern but they will go back to your village into the Injured sectioned and take Two lots of rest to wake up.

Once both players have done all of the actions available to them the round ends. You replenish the mainboard filling any gaps you made building and training. Players gain their income and you can move villagers one section to the left up to the number of beds you have.

Essentially that is it. There are a lot of small and easy things to add to this but it will mostly just make it seem more complicated than it is. You can get beer which acts like a bed or potions that act like beer but for people who are injured. Special buildings give you endgame scoring goals to work towards and you get goods that count as victory points also increasing your income blah blah blah. GO ADVENTURING YEAH! WOOOH!

My Conclusion:

This is Rein's favourite game overtaking Jaipur I think. I have not beaten her once. Not once...

I love this game. Nothing ever looks simple in the text but this game really is easy to play. It's bright and colourful and I just love reading out the adventures and the nail-biting when choosing which way you are going to go! Reading out how to play will never do this game justice. You just gotta trust me and play it. If you learn the rules yourself it is easily playable with non-board-gamers and kids.

Below I will leave you with a finished game where my 8-year-old...on the right has smashed me!

Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

Looks good Joe!
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

That is such a good looking game Joe. Nice and vibrant!
happywondering

Post by happywondering »

I want to read all you wrote Joe but my brain can only pick up on the prettiness and the fact if you like choose your own adventure books then you'd like this. Well I fucking loved those books and I realllllllllllllllllly would love to play this with you some time please and thank you :D (I will try and read all you wrote but I got excited ok and had to tell you I want to play)
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

I always liked the choose your own adventure books too, Sar!
happywondering

Post by happywondering »

Spork. wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm I always liked the choose your own adventure books too, Sar!
Would you make a choice then go back and see how the other choices played out too?