Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Kyaneos

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post by Kyaneos »

If you are struggling with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), or any PTSD symptoms of any kind and would like some support or advice, please feel free to reach out in here.

This includes all/any forms of post traumatic stress.
Matrim

Re: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post by Matrim »

I'm currently presenting with symptoms of C-PTSD which while not unusual with my main mental issues (which are known to most of you) since I have nothing diagnosed but anxiety getting a diagnosis is a bit of a hard step.

I guess I'm more here just because I don't know how to cope with it on a daily basis. What are coping skills that other people with PTSD are incorporating? Some of my grounding techniques are helping but I'm really bad at them and sometimes don't know how to stop a flashback or extreme terror/rage feelings I've been getting lately.

I was only presenting with dissociation from my other issues until earlier this year so this is all really new to me.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

Hey Mat, I don't have a lot to add here but as far as grounding techniques go, I'm also really bad at them. I think it's the sort of things that needs practicing when you're doing okay and putting in to play as soon as things start to get on top of you. That way if it's practiced enough it becomes automatic to use them the second things start getting out of hand.
Frisk

Post by Frisk »

Honestly it's really hard. I struggle with flashbacks when they come too, these days I don't know how I deal with them on my own, I guess I just ride it out and get myself tea when I feel I can move and touch the real world again. And then I distract myself with something nice.
I echo what Spork said, practicing when you're ok does help. Or at least I assume it does.
Have courage and be kind to yourself
Frisk

Post by Frisk »

Does anyone have any grounding techniques that really work for them? I find describing something soothing to someone can help. At the moment, I'd dealing with triggers reasonably frequently on social media and the like, and I was wondering if anyone had any other techniques that they use? Just so I can have some more tools in my arsenal, so to speak.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

Sometimes it's helpful to avoid the triggering things too. So if social media is a big problem, maybe it would be good to cut down on the time you spend on it?

There's a grounding technique to take you through the 5 senses that can be helpful. So Look for 5 things you can see. Then pay attention to 4 things you can feel. Then listen for 3 sounds. Then two things you can smell. And finally one thing you can taste.
Frisk

Post by Frisk »

It might be. I should get some other hobbies... I just browse when I'm bored and sometimes I don't know what I've clicked on until it's too late. I've been meaning to start knitting again.

I might try that grounding technique you mentioned. I've been doing it wrong for ages. I kept trying to find 5 of everything.
Greyscale

Post by Greyscale »

For me I find the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 technique useful, I also really like paced breathing (so making the exhale longer than the inhale for example inhale for a count of 3 and exhale for a count of 5 or 6) because it actually is proven to make a physiological difference in lowering heart rate/blood pressure/breathing rate as well as anxiety. Also depending on what exactly you struggle with trauma-symptom-wise when triggered, sometimes it can help to make cards that have some statements on them so for example things like "My name is ____, it is 2018 (or if the trauma happened this year put the month not just the year), I am ___ years old, I live in ____, ____ is not currently happening" etc. I also find certain scents really comforting or grounding so I carry around something with that scent. If you haven't got asthma or allergies maybe carrying a little bottle with an essential oil could help. Scent is one of the strongest senses and can really kind of snap you back into the present.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

That sounds like a great really in depth answer ^
Frisk

Post by Frisk »

Just a general thing but anyone have any tips for feeling safe when falling asleep? These past few days I keep putting off going to bed because I'm irrationally scared of having nightmares. I try to have a cup of sleepy tea and it helps a little (I tell myself it will help with the nightmares too and placebo or not it does help me feel slightly safer), but I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas I could try?