Travelling to USA

Spork.

Re: Travelling to USA

Post by Spork. »

I can absolutely understand that part too. I'm with you on the rather stay within my comfort zone but a lot of the time things aren't as bad as I think they're going to be in my head.
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

I do know things aren't ever as bad as I think they're going to be. But then people say that well, it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be last time and the time before and the time before that... but it doesn't stop it being a catastrophic event in my mind this time.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

That's understandable too and I absolutely don't mean to sound like I'm belittling what your experience might be. I just know how my own anxiety goes.
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

Oh I know you're not belittling my experiences. My mind is just going to the negative at the moment.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

It's just a lot with anxiety and the things that most people don't worry about or enjoy are difficult and exhausting.
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

My sister and boyfriend are both very confident... they already travelled around America a little bit for their last holiday. And my dad's quite confident. He goes a lot of places on his own for work.

I just don't fit.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

I think sometimes the anxiety kinda sticks around until you're actually doing the thing, or it's over. But there are things you can do to make it more manageable.

Like the trips, like Zoe said, there isn't going to be anything to compare it to, so it doesn't matter. I'm sure you've done loads of research and checked out the reviews, so if there is something that goes disastrously wrong, that'll just come down to bad luck that could happen with anything you book. So do your best to try to get it booked tomorrow and at least that's one less thing to stress about - I'm like that too, I really struggle with decisions. (Zoe can attest, I can never even pick what to have for dinner)

For the flight, make sure you bring books, or put things on your phone/tablet to watch or listen to, or games to play. Or all of those.

And then are there any techniques you find help when you get anxious? Like sometimes if I feel panicky or like I'm going to burst into tears, I find the 54321 grounding technique can help. If there are things that work for you it's good to have them in your head ready to use if needed.

Make sure you pack anything you might need, like meds if you have them. I like to keep mints with me because they can help settle my stomach. I always carry Imodium too. Something to fidget with maybe if that helps?

Then aside from that I think in the meantime you try to keep busy and to think about it as little as possible. I know that's easier said than done, but it can help some.
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

I just want it to all be over. And that's really horrible of me to say, seeing as it's my sister's wedding. And I wish I hadn't agreed to do extra travelling afterwards.

I know everything you're saying makes sense.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

It's not horrible of you to say. I get the same way about weddings and big events even when they don't involve all the travelling and stress that you have on top.
fredraw

Post by fredraw »

Hello, sorry I'm a little late to this, I'll take a proper look through later today, but let's try to work out a few tips so that you have an awesome time.