I don't know what I want to do with my life.

Inrecovery

Re: I don't know what I want to do with my life.

Post by Inrecovery »

Thank you. Chat is what I'm finding difficult. I guess so. Just had a really worrying conversation with my mum. My nan seems to be very ill and we think she has dementia. I'm really worried and I'm feel so guilty that I haven't felt able to see her much etc because of my own mh struggles etc. I'm so useless and I'm a failure as a granddaughter and everything else.
fredraw

Post by fredraw »

Okay I can understand the pressure and you have nothing to feel guilty about. Before you can take on caring for the world or even one person, you first have to care for yourself. It is quite possible you are the toughest judge of yourself out there. That is relatively common and is just a sign of how much you care. I'm sure that your nan's greatest wish is for you to be okay. You will see her when you feel capable. It is obviously easier said than done, but please try not to put too much pressure on yourself to try to take everything on at once.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

Or as the other Founder here would say, "you have to put your own oxygen mask on before you help others with theirs"
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Thanks everyone. I just feel so guilty. I'm just so worried something will happen to her. I don't want to be regretting anything.
fredraw

Post by fredraw »

There's no shame in being worried. It goes back to you being a caring person.

Obviously there are no guarantees in life, but from what I have seen, and I will qualify this in that I have only seen two people go through it, dementia typically doesn't progress rapidly. To find out more it may be worth your mum speaking to someone like the Alzheimer's society. They have helplines that may be able to offer advice.
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Thank you. That's good to know. Hopefully my mum will do something about it after Christmas. On top of the worry with my nan I've had my own issues to deal with and have a psych appt tomorrow which I'm really nervous about.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

Why so nervous about the psych appointment?
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Because I'm not sure there will be alternative medications for me and because I've never met him before
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

Why do you think there won't be any alternative medication options? New people can be intimidating, I get that. Just take it slow and see how it goes. Either way you wanted to address the meds and this is how you get to that point.
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Yeah I'm glad I've got the appt sooner than I thought I would I'm just scared I've run out of options and obviously it's harder when you don't know them.