Thrifty tips for those with financial worries

Frisk

Re: Thrifty tips for those with financial worries

Post by Frisk »

I find that if you have the energy to cook from scratch, it's often cheapest to do a "themed" week because then the ingredients are similar, so if you buy ingredients for one meal you have enough to stretch to a few others if it's similar enough. So when I first started as a student I'd have, say, a mexican week (basically onion, pepper, garlic, chilli, tomato and cumin in most meals). And another week might be italian, with more garlic, basil, tomatoes and so on.

It's also tempting when things are on sale, but if you only need so much, and you're not likely to use it in the future, sometimes as Muir said, it's cheaper to just go with something that has the amount you need rather than spending more on something that's cheaper by weight or on sale.

Also, some vegetarian meals are quite cheap, just saying... ;)

And another thing, sometimes it's cheaper if you're hungry to go into the shop, buy a snack, eat it and then do your actual shop. When you're hungry you put all sorts in there that you don't want or need. I've spent a lot on snacks many a time, to get home, eat one cookie and realise I didn't need the doritos, cake, pizza, ice-cream, or chocolate I threw in the basket "just in case".
Have courage and be kind to yourself
Rug

Post by Rug »

I fully agree on that point Frisk. Couldn't imagine a better bit of advice for money saving food wise.
happywondering

Post by happywondering »

I can vouch for the google rewards app also, it's great. I do find i get more surveys after i've been out and about (turn your gps on). Then you get enough money for a game and then bam, free distraction. Good tip Joe :)
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

Lidl in the UK are rolling out damaged fruit and veg boxes (so stuff that's safe to eat but maybe a little bruised). 5kg box for £1.50. They'll be sold from opening time to midday daily, and any unsold will then go to charity. Could be a great way to save some money and maybe even try some new recipes if you pick up a box with something in that you wouldn't typically buy.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

There's a place that allows you to be a guardian of a property, so you get to live there (usually a room with shared kitchen etc) for very low rent. Different properties have different rules. Could be a very helpful way for some people to avail of low cost rent and bills if struggling or looking to save:

https://cameloteurope.com
Sparkles

Post by Sparkles »

If buying fruit or veg buy it loose. It lasts longer and also costs less

1 onion costs 11p
An apple is around 20-35p
Two carrots 20p
I also make decisions based on price per kg which is often on the label on the shelf so you can compare value for money.
I recently got a kilo of chicken for under £5 and used half for one meal half for another and froze what I had left over.
Wholemeal bread lasts longer than white
If you don't drink a lot of milk buy cravendale because although more expensive lasts four times as long
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

Good tips Steph. That seems like a really decent amount of chicken for under £5.
Frisk

Post by Frisk »

Wow thanks for the tip about milk
I usually take a week or more to drink mine and it often goes off
Have courage and be kind to yourself
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

A few supermarkets in the UK are trialing reverse vending machines where you bring plastic bottles and cans to be recycled and receive 5/10p in vouchers back.
happywondering

Post by happywondering »

If any of you have amazon prime right now there is an offer to get amazon music unlimited for 99p for 4 months. I'm not sure if you can sign up for a free trial to prime and get this offer, but if you can, win win. Cheaper than spotify for 4 months.