I don't know what I want to do with my life.

Muir
Site Admin

Re: I don't know what I want to do with my life.

Post by Muir »

You could do a shorter online course? Or take up one locally that's one evening a week for an hour or two for 10 weeks or something. See how that goes and work from there. If you're not ready for that yet you could make it a goal for say September, and then do things to work towards it starting now.
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

I could but I don't know of any online/or part time courses for English/Humanities and I can't afford anything really, I'd need funding :( I wish I was more motivated too.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

I think you said you're based in Essex? So here's a website with loads https://www.aclessex.com (maybe try the Arts and Creative section, I think the English is more up to GCSE). They seem fairly reasonably priced (certainly in comparison to a degree). I'm based in Ireland and I know people on Benefits often get discounts or get it free so maybe there's something there too but I have no idea.
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Thanks. I think they only do creative writing and I'm more interested and better at Literature :/ I feel like there just aren't enough courses above GCSE level for adults :(
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

https://www.wea.org.uk loads of English Literature ones on there. I'm sure there's something of interest local to you if you do some research.
fredraw

Post by fredraw »

Maybe as a first step rather than committing to a sizeable course you may consider starting off gently with a book group at your local library. I know that there are no additional qualifications at the end of it, but it may be good to try in a low pressure environment where it is relatively easy to walk away if it is not working.
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Thank you guys. Just really struggling with confidence atm. At this rate I'll never be able to do anything.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

You'll get there. Baby steps!
Inrecovery

Post by Inrecovery »

Thanks, I hope so.
Greyscale

Post by Greyscale »

I'm from the US so I'm unsure if this is something you all have in the UK, but here at least a lot of our local community colleges (which are kind of like a step below university and typically offer an associates degree or transfer credit to a four year school for a bachelor's degree) offer some low pressure/non credit courses for the community in lots of areas, and they're typically low cost or sometimes free. I'm unsure if any of the schools there offer similar, and typically honestly it's mainly older folks taking the classes who want to expand their knowledge, but there are younger folks taking them too. Or libraries here also often offer some (shorter term) classes in some things or have book or writing groups/clubs meeting at the libraries like fredraw said. Also there's a site called meetup that has clubs/groups and one of the ones in my area is a creative writing one where you can workshop and get feedback on your pieces. I know these aren't actual credit courses but they might be good places to get a start since it's lower pressure and there's no real consequence if you'd need to take a step back. Again, I'm not entirely sure of the options in the UK so these may all be rubbish ideas but these are typically what I suggest to people here who are wanting to kind of re-engage.