Brain dump...

Spork.

Re: Brain dump...

Post by Spork. »

I'm exactly the same with the maybe it'll be too hard thinking, NP. Like it's better not to try than to try and fail because then you just proved you couldn't rather than you wouldn't.
Puck

Post by Puck »

I don't think it's laziness,more apathy? Which is common in depression or long term emotional health struggles.

You dont have to get help person but I think part of you is acknowledging you want to improve your quality of life and that this isn't healthy? You don't have to go through counselling at work or involves work at all and acknowledging you need to get help is a sign of strength and not weakness, no professional will see you as weak for that but I get it.
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

I just don't know what to do and feel frustrated with myself that the solution is obvious but out of reach.

It's just so hard and I'm tired of everything being a struggle all the damn time.
Spork.

Post by Spork. »

I'm pretty sure using the Bupa won't share anything of any real nature with your work. My Dad used them for psychiatrist and therapy appointments.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

Getting help isn't people telling you that you should change. You're not happy with how things are right now, and maybe some help will help that to change. If it doesn't, you're no worse off. Work won't know anything you talk about.

Everyone in the world could do with having a professional to talk to at times. It's not admitting weakness in any way - it should, and hopefully someday will be funded well enough that it's a routine part of healthcare for everyone.

I wonder if it might help to think of it from a more logical problem solving point of view. Like if you were very unwell, you call a doctor even if you don't want to and aren't comfortable with it - because we know that's the next logical step. And in this situation the next logical step is to get help. I know that isn't easy, and that you don't want to, but I don't think you want things to be how they are now either. I think it's worth trying, you can always change your mind later, and you're not going to be any worse off for having tried it.
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

I don't know. I know what you're all saying is right and sensible and makes sense. But I just can't. Repeated myself and gone around in circles as usual with no outcome.

Appreciate all your replies and advice. I really do.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir »

Sometimes I think instead of thinking on it, going around in circles, talking yourself in and out of it, you need to make a decision to do it. Set a day and time and make the call. The more time you spend weighing it up, the more you give yourself a chance to convince yourself out of it. And you're never going to want to, you're not going to wake up one morning finally feeling like this is the day, but the longer you put it off the longer you're put off maybe feeling better. So maybe it's time to decide today is the day instead.

I hope that you do, because you deserve to give yourself a chance <3
Zurg

Post by Zurg »

I agree with Muir. I also wanted to add that even though it seems scary and impossible try to Think of how this is going to get worse throughout your life. Worst case scenario, would that be preferable to things as they are now?? If it seems too much, break it into smaller bits. Like, one day make the call. Then you can decide your next move after that. Does that make sense?
nonperson

Post by nonperson »

It does...