Best opticians

Forum for general chit-chat and discussion.
happywondering

Best opticians

Post by happywondering » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 am

I am sure there are a few of us here who have glasses, and I need your help. Basically I went to specsavers last time and I hated alll of it, and sent me into anxiety panicking meltdown, so I don't want to go back to specsavers but I would really enjoy being able to see properly. So where does everyone else go to get their eyes tested? Also, anyone ever got a voucher for being on benefits to go towards the cost of glasses. Can you explain how they work please? Thank you :)
I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter.
Spork.

Re: Best opticians

Post by Spork. » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Vision Express is the only place I've had mine tested and they were very professional. Not sure on the voucher thing, sorry.
happywondering

Post by happywondering » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Yea, I was looking at Vision Express, might try them.
I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter.
Shrimpy

Post by Shrimpy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:34 pm

I stay away from chains these days and prefer the more personal approach of a local independent optician. Have been going there for 10 years, and he's always been honest with me about my eyesight, not trying to sell stuff for the sake of it. In 10 years I never needed to get glasses until last year (turned 40 :'( ) and then i was able to get a reasonable priced pair. I paid £69 for the test, frame AND lenses. Prior to that I had been getting headaches from glasses that a chain optician said I needed but which I actually didn't, so I lost trust in them.
non volo

Post by non volo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Best is quite a subjective term.
I mean you don't like specsavers but the specsavers I go to are very good, whereas vision express and the independant opticians aren't so great here. Point is you get good and bad in all these places, just depends on the staff in that actual store and that's the problem, we can't really say because most of us don't frequent opticians in your area.

Also, that NHS voucher should work in any optician, if they refuse I'm pretty sure you can report them and fill in a form to get a refund from the NHS directly.
dolphins218

Post by dolphins218 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 pm

I used to go to Boots but now go independent. They were the first people to explain that my meds might be the cause of my tired eyes in the evenings and I don't regret changing.

As long as you can show you're on benefits (so I showed the payments page on UC website) then they will fill the forms out and you just need to sign. They have all the forms and everything so you just need to tell them you're entitled to free prescriptions and reduced costs etc.

Every turn I take, every trail I track, Every path I make, every road leads back, To the place I know, where I can not go, where I long to be