Schools using AI to track mental wellbeing

Forum for general chit-chat and discussion.
Muir
Site Admin

Schools using AI to track mental wellbeing

Post by Muir » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Link to the article: https://news.sky.com/story/artificial-i ... g-11815865
Link to blog post with my thoughts: https://thegoodlimbo.com/2019/09/22/schools-using-ai/

The TL;DR version
It's a test that's being used in schools which pupils take twice a year. AI is then used to "to identify patterns of bias linked to mental health risks". This generates tracking data on each student. Teachers can then use this data to provide specific guidance to students. Students can also access their own data from the age of 16.
nonperson

Re: Schools using AI to track mental wellbeing

Post by nonperson » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Interesting. While sounding like a good idea, my first thought was "I could easily fake that test" and that is what would have happened when I was at school. Being "discovered" as a teenager was the worst thing in the world... But maybe some people might use it as a way of speaking up about their problems without actually having to speak?
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 pm

That was the exact first thought I had. Great minds eh? =P They said this on their FAQ:
In 2015 we studied the reliability of AS Tracking with 2,900 male and female pupils aged 13-17 at 15 different schools round the UK. AS Tracking was able to correctly detect 82% of pupils with heightened risks of either self-harm, being bullied or not coping with the pressure at school, including other risks. This means that, out of every 100 pupils, AS Tracking will detect and identify the mental health and social competency risks of 82 correctly, including those who are trying to 'fake' the assessment.
They should have said "out of every 100 pupils with heightened risk". But also, how in the world can they know that for sure? If they never identify some of the at risk students and those students continue on undetected in school as so often happens, then they'll just be in the 'not at risk' bracket. I'd also love to know what percentage of total students were deemed at risk so you could compare it to other MH statistics.

That's a good point about people using it to speak up, but the questions are abstract rather than direct, so it might be harder for someone to express exactly what they want or need to.
nonperson

Post by nonperson » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Statistics are relied on too much. As long as it shows they are doing well, it doesn't mean they are actually addressing the real issues at hand.

I'd like to think I would be smart enough to work out the answers that are safe to give, so I'd assume that the students in need of help would be smart enough to work out what answers would flag them up. And then more exact things could be expressed after that. Everyone's different, I guess. The system could work for some but not for others.
Spork.

Post by Spork. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am

I could fake it was also the same thought I had NP. Give yourself a couple of strong areas, one or two week areas and average across the board elsewhere.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:12 am

Yeah, I'm sure it will work for some people, and I hope it does. I just think there's a lot of these 'solutions' that become rather costly, when really they don't address the root cause. The whole education system needs a drastic change.