Sadfishing

Forum for general chit-chat and discussion.
Muir
Site Admin

Sadfishing

Post by Muir » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Zoe has written a great blog post about Sadfishing. It's been in the media lately portrayed as a new trend, although I think many of you here will have experienced it at some point.

Here's the link to blog post: https://thegoodlimbo.com/2019/10/03/sad ... -concerns/
happywondering

Re: Sadfishing

Post by happywondering » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 pm

So attention seeking? Tbf new terms for stuff come about all the time,so I am not supriised. Reckon it will be shorted to sf or something too.

Thoguh if you think about it so many people are trying to get attention online anyhow. Also maybe they feel liek their problems aren't big enough compared to other people's, especially when #firstworldproblems is used or people say "others have it worse".

On the point of also talking about feelings, i think one of the main concerns when struggling is that it can be hard to explain and that you don't want to burden you friends with your bullshit because a lot of the time mental illness will trick you and say you are making it up and it's no big deal.

There is my incorrehent gibberish point of view.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Yeah, new terms do come out a lot. They just seem to be treating it as a new trend, and it isn't really.

I think that's very true, with people not feeling their problems are enough or deserving enough or whatever. Zoe said it in the article too, but I've always thought that if someone needs attention that badly, well then surely something is wrong. Same as the whole idea that people self harm for attention - even if someone did it for that reason - there is clearly a problem if they feel the need to do that to get the attention that they need.

It can definitely be hard to talk and explain things. I actually don't think people are taught very well how to articulate feelings. I know I'm not great at it. I was doing therapy and the point was made by the CPN that in Ireland we say "how are you?" as a greeting. Like you say it as you pass someone in work instead of hello, so the response is "ah I'm grand" or whatever because you aren't actually stopping to have a conversation. And that would be unusual in other places - but it doesn't do much to encourage people to actually talk or express real feelings. You don't think anyone actually wants to hear that stuff.
happywondering

Post by happywondering » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Yea, it's hard to show how you are feeling so if there is something physical it's more easy. Though that's on society, we are slowly becoming better with mental health but it's still got a long way to go.

I like the alright greeting. You say alright? the person replies alright? and then you reply alright and go on you merry way.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:18 pm

I think we're better in some ways. I still think there's a longg way to go, especially in regards to things like bipolar and psychosis, they are far less understood or talked about.
nonperson

Post by nonperson » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Not a term I've heard yet but yes, the concept isn't new at all.

Maybe what the difference is now is that people are posting more personal things on social media and so it's people and school friends from Real Life that are seeing it. Does that mean there's more of a "sadfishing" backlash for the poster? Especially from their peers at school. But then again I've seen it happen online too when posting to an anonymous audience.

Not really sure what point I'm making there, if any. Just thinking out loud. Interesting topic.
Muir
Site Admin

Post by Muir » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:33 pm

That's a really good point. A lot of people here (in the late 20s to mid 30s bracket) probably kept a separation between online mental health accounts and anything associated with their real lives. But now social media is just an extension of real life and people are more open about mental health, so there's more potential backlash in real life then. But then, that's probably a big part of why a lot of us had that separation in the first place - the not wanting to be found out, or the fear of being seen as an attention seeker etc.

It is quite interesting.
nonperson

Post by nonperson » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:04 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking but you worded it much better.
Frisk

Post by Frisk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:58 pm

For me, no, it's not new.
There's a massive stigma against attention seeking, which is as I understand it the same thing. I have been told several times that I'm ok because "I'm not doing it for attention", even once by a professional. Which makes me think, this label, with attention seeking having such a negative stigma already, is only making things worse in there being a more catchy label for it now. But overall the same stigma was there all along. Anyhow, there's my 2 cents on the matter.
Have courage and be kind to yourself
Spork.

Post by Spork. » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 am

I agree Ash, definitely not a new thing in my experience.