Help/input needed for upcoming blog

Forum for general chit-chat and discussion.
Kyaneos

Help/input needed for upcoming blog

Post by Kyaneos » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am

Hello lovely limbo-ers!
I have put this out on Twitter but not had a huge amount of input and I'd like to get some more before writing my blog over the next few days. I'm just gonna paste from Twitter so please excuse hashtags!

Thinking of doing a #blog post about how loved ones can help us through the #festiveseason. I want to hear your suggestions on what would help you. Any #mentalillness not just #bpd. Comment or DM me if you want to contribute 💙
#blogger #MentalHealthAwareness #eupd #EndTheStigma

Comment here or dm me if you'd rather!
Thank you muchly!
Spork.

Re: Help/input needed for upcoming blog

Post by Spork. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:04 am

For me it's patience and understanding. You don't actively have to do anything, just understand and give me space when I need a quiet moment.
happywondering

Post by happywondering » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am

Giving space when needed is probably one thing. Sometimes it can get hectic, especially when you are the sucker who has to sleep in the lounge, so some alone time can be a good thing.
Burnt.Toast.

Post by Burnt.Toast. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am

I personally would love if I could go to Christmas and not have relatives scream... that’s more a me specific issue though possibly as it triggers the shit out of my PTSD hah.

I appreciate when people don’t ask me millions of personal questions about my life over the last year.. I appreciate when people can tell if I’m getting overwhelmed and just step back a bit...

I appreciate when people forgive me for being irritable when I get anxious..

So I guess the biggest thing is just being understanding and not making me feel bad for who I am?
happywondering

Post by happywondering » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 am

My Mother has these plates that make the worst noise when scrapping, so being forgiven for wearing my headphones at dinner would be good (I'm pretty sure she wont mind me wearing my headphones actually)
Kyaneos

Post by Kyaneos » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am

This is all great guys, thanks. Is everyone ok with me just copying and pasting what you've said straight into the blog?
happywondering

Post by happywondering » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:39 am

yes
Frisk

Post by Frisk » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 pm

I echo the stuff about space. Christmas is very hectic. Another thing is if the pressure to be having a great time was a bit less. Getting presents is great, seeing loved ones is great, but if being overwhelmed by not only the bells and whistles of the festive season is bad enough, I also get overwhelmed by the expectations.
Having a quiet place to retreat to at both Christmas and New Years is helpful. At New Years, those parties are loud and there is a great pressure to enjoy them and drink lots. I find being in a room of drunk, loud individuals scary, and often most of those people are strangers, sometimes the place of the festivities is unfamiliar, and having no place to go to take a break from all that is hard. And at midnight then, when everyone hugs everyone else all of a sudden? It is always nice when someone asks first. Although luckily the hug fest doesn't last long. Another thing that is helpful is when gatherings are small and the people are familiar.
Knowing the menu for Christmas is also helpful. It can stress me if I don't know, especially as I don't like most of the traditional Christmas foods, whether or not there's something substantial I can eat. In fact, talking through what is likely to happen on both Christmas and New Years is super helpful for reducing the stress a bit. Showing me if possible (once I had a meltdown because I wasn't sure where I was going to sleep, and I was tired) Aside from presents, the less surprises and the more of my anxious questions/worries I get answers to the better.
Have courage and be kind to yourself
Rug

Post by Rug » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:59 pm

For me family has not been a big deal in my life except for my sister and just having someone who remembers me and makes an effort is pretty powerful. We both have children and can take the focus away from ourselves by bringing our families together. I spend christmas with them.
Rug

Post by Rug » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Obviously that is discounting my daughter. Everything is better with her.